Jonathan Petty, Partner
“He shielded me from further harm.” That’s how one client describes her experience being represented by Jonathan Petty, known for his deep knowledge, professionalism, and approachability both in and out of the courtroom. For his first decade in practice, Jonathan represented doctors, hospitals and insurance companies involved in complex medical malpractice litigation, along with large corporations in defending wrongful death and catastrophic injury cases involving tractor-trailer accidents and defective products. During that time, Jonathan gained valuable insight into how these complicated cases are defended.
Since 2004, Jonathan has applied his in-depth knowledge and experience to exclusively representing individuals who have suffered injuries and damages caused by the negligence of healthcare professionals, careless drivers and product manufacturers. He has successfully tried medical malpractice and personal injury cases to verdict in courts throughout Virginia, and has handled cases on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts across the country.
Jonathan was born in New York and raised in Charlottesville, Virginia. After seven years practicing law in Georgia, he moved to Richmond from Atlanta with his wife, Sydney. They live in the city with their two children. In their free time, Jonathan and his family enjoy the outdoors, music, sports of all kinds, traveling and cooking.
- A.B., English, Duke University, 1991
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1994
Professional Memberships and Affiliations
- Georgia Bar Association, 1994
- Virginia Bar Association, 1998
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Lewis F. Powell Inn of Court
- Virginia Rising Stars, 2007
- Virginia Super Lawyers, Plaintiff’s Medical Malpractice, 2008-present
- Best Lawyers in America, 2012-present
- Best Lawyers, Lawyer of the Year, Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, 2014