Unreasonably dangerous products injure thousands of people every year. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 30 million personal injuries and 22,000 deaths are caused by defective products each year.
Product liability law governs the liability of manufacturers, designers, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers of defective products. One of the reasons Virginia is ranked consistently as a top state for business is that the Commonwealth’s product liability laws generally favor manufacturers over injured consumers. If you’re injured by a product in Virginia, that’s a problem.
Due to the complex nature of product cases, is extremely important to entrust your case to an experienced products liability lawyer who not only has mastered Virginia products liability law, but also knows about the traps and pitfalls of practicing in federal courts.
Attorney Michael Phelan is a former chairman of the Products Liability Section of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and is a sought-after lecturer and author on products liability law. We have successfully won cases involving a wide variety of products:
- Medical devices (including denture adhesives, Sulzer hip implants, and DePuy hip implants)
- Prescription drugs (including Baycol, Fen-Phen, and Zyprexa)
- Tainted blood products
- Lead paint and other toxins
- Blood products: thinning medications and IVC blood clot filters
- A number of other after-market gun accessories, paintball guns, table saws, asbestos-containing products, airbags, after-market motor vehicle lift kits, meat grinders, and industrial equipment.
We are currently investigating and handling the following products liability cases:
- Xarelto: blood thinner causing uncontrollable bleeding events.
- IVC Filters: blood clot filters that migrate or break and cause internal damage
- Takata airbags: rupturing and causing shrapnel injuries or deaths, particularly in humid climates
- Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid: Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) that can cause kidney disease
- E-cigarettes: exploding and causing serious burn injuries
- GM and Chrysler recalls: ignition switch issues involving the loss of engine power, power steering, power braking and airbags not deploying
If you have been injured by a defective product, please contact us now.